Ed, your letter is absolutely perfect. It hits the nail on the head. A lot of my colleagues have been asking me what is this National Climate Assessment Group? I had no idea. Now I can answer them. – Dan Nebert
by Edwin Berry, Ph.D., Physics
When the U.S. government began to support the global warming agenda
In 1988, the Environmental Protection Agency called a meeting of atmospheric scientists. I remember well the meeting in a theater-like lecture room in the San Francisco Bay Area. I knew the atmospheric scientists from Lawrence Livermore Laboratory, Stanford Research Institute, and local colleges.
A man in a suit walked up to the lectern. He told us:
Global warming is a new national problem. Human CO2 emissions cause dangerous global warming. Future research funding will focus on predicting climate disasters.
The room was silent. I raised my hand, “How can you support your global warming hypothesis when you omit cloud cover which affects heat balance more than carbon dioxide?
He answered, “I know more about the atmosphere than you people do.”
I responded, “How do you know more than the atmospheric scientists in this room?”
He said, “I know more about the climate because I am a lawyer for the EPA.”
Thus the U.S. government announced its support of the global warming fraud. Government agencies began giving absurd “research” contracts to ecologists, but not physicists and engineers, because ecologists would support the government’s global warming agenda.
The U.S. Global Change Research Program
In 1989, Presidential initiative established the U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP). In 1990, Congress mandated the Global Change Research Act (GCRA) to develop and coordinate
“a comprehensive and integrated United States research program which will assist the Nation and the world to understand, assess, predict, and respond to human-induced and natural processes of global change.”
The GCRA requires USGCRP to submit the National Climate Assessment (NCA) to the President and Congress every four years.
The 2018 Fourth National Climate Assessment (NCA) is pseudoscience.
The NCA omits the scientific method. The NCA uses IPCC science. Tests of 102 IPCC “CMIP” climate models began in 1980. By 2015, no climate model agreed with another climate model, and their average global-temperature prediction is far higher than the data show. This alone proves climate models cannot predict climate. Therefore, according to the scientific method, the IPCC and NCA climate theories are wrong.
The U.S. Global Change Research Program and its NCA is the biggest fraud ever perpetrated on the American people. The NCA is not science. It is the promotion of a government climate religion for political purposes. The NCA lacks scientific competence and scientific integrity. You can read comments on the NCA report by other scientists on Climate Depot.
How climate science should be done.
Properly done, human-caused climate science must progress through the following steps (1) to (3). The alarmists add step (4) as their political solution to (3):
- Show human CO2, not nature, caused all CO2 increase above 280 ppm, or since 1750.
- Show human-caused CO2 increase causes significant global warming.
- Show human-caused global warming causes bad stuff to happen.
- Stop bad stuff by reducing CO2 emissions and using wind and solar energy.
According to the scientific method and logic, if the climate alarmists cannot show that both (1) and (2) are true, then they lose their case.
Good science has proved the following:
- The IPCC argument to support (1) fails logic. Physics proves human CO2 adds less than 5 percent to the natural level of CO2. So, human CO2 emissions do not cause climate change (Berry, 2018, and others). The NCA does not even argue that (1) is true.
- The IPCC argument to support (2) fails because it uses an incorrect feedback calculation and it ignores convection which moves heat upward faster than radiation. Correction of the feedback proves human-caused CO2 heating is insignificant (Monckton, 2018, and others). The IPCC argument also The NCA4 Vol. I argument fails.
- The IPCC argument that global warming causes bad stuff to happen fails because data and good science show the alarmist bad-stuff claims are wrong and that warming is beneficial. The NCA4 Vol. II argument fails because it uses unrealistic scenarios for future climate.
- Alarmist arguments for large-scale wind and solar energy fail because these energy sources do not reduce human CO2 emissions, they kill wildlife, they increase the costs of electrical energy, and they reduce the benefits and availability of fossil-fuel energy.
Climate alarmists have not proved (1) and (2) are true. Yet, they move merrily on to claim (3) climate change causes bad stuff to happen. Isn’t the bad stuff all you hear and read in the news? You never hear about the science.
The alarmists think if they make the bad stuff is scary then (1) and (2) must be true. Not so. Events do not prove their cause.
Why is good science losing the climate war?
Good science is losing the climate war for three reasons:
- It is not a scientific war. It is a political and PR war for the minds of the voters.
- The alarmists have 97 percent of the climate money and government jobs.
- The Trump administration has played neither defense or offense in the climate war.
Alarmists have the money.
The alarmists have a climate machine. Billionaires and major foundations support the green climate agenda.
Hedgefund billionaire Tom Styer funds the Center for American Progress and NextGen America, which promote the green agenda. A Center alumnus was the sole editor of the NCA’s bad stuff claims that use an unrealistic scenario. Who put that editor in charge?
Climate Solutions, an example non-profit climate alarmist group, advertises:
When you donate to Climate Solutions, you are working toward accelerating solutions to the climate crisis. Your partnership will help us:
- Champion transformational policies and market-based innovations;
- Catalyze powerful partnerships and a diverse movement for action and accountability; and
- Communicate a bold vision for solutions at the scale required by climate science.
How do greens get away with using non-profit organizations for green political action?
Almost all media talking heads support the green climate agenda. Seth Borenstein, a climate alarmist, writes every climate-related statement for Associated Press. People believe the AP is unbiased and accurate. The greens own AP.
Alarmists dominate government jobs.
It is like having your enemy dominating the positions in your army. Since 1990, the insiders have been stacking government jobs with greens and climate alarmists. They now run the government bureaucracy. They use their government jobs to block President Trump’s agenda and to publish the NCA.
Alarmists own the NAS and dominate scientific societies.
In 2010, 289 members of the National Academy of Scientists (NAS) signed a public letter that claims (1), (2) and (3) are true. They claim to be scientists, but they did not act as scientists. They acted to support a political agenda, not science because these claims are clearly false.
The greens own most scientific societies and most professional scientific journals. That way, they get their climate science junk published and block good climate science from being published. Peer review has lost its meaning and respect. It has become political.
Good scientists are outgunned.
Frankly, the good scientists are overwhelmed. They are like an army trying to fight a modern war with bows and arrows.
Climate alarmists can throw out climate garbage faster than good scientists can respond. And when good scientists respond, the alarmists and the media ignore their response. No matter what they say, climate alarmists get the approval and promotion by the media.
This does not change the fact that the good scientists have proven the alarmist claims are wrong. It’s just that ultimately the climate battle is a PR battle. And it takes money and people in power to win a PR battle.
Climate alarmists promote bad science in the climate war.
The Trump administration must promote a climate offensive.
President Trump has made the right decisions on climate issues. However, his administration has not gone on the offense to back up his correct views of climate science. In fact, President Trump has not defended his climate decisions. He has let the alarmists dominate the science debate without rebuttal. That is why, so far, he has lost the climate war.
How can good climate science win the climate war?
Good scientists have already proved the IPCC and NCA are wrong. Here’s what else needs to happen:
- The purpose of the NCA is to undermine President Trump and his climate agenda. Now, the 13 Federal agencies should reject the NCA. However, they need good science to back up their rejection. Good science is available. The government only needs to ask for it, support it, and fund it.
- The government must hire good scientists to help change climate policy on the inside. Maybe some good scientists can convert some greens to good science.
- Schools, colleges, universities must teach good climate science. This will require good scientists to be brought into the science teaching. We cannot rely on the present teachers to properly teach good science until they pass a training program.
- Create training programs for science teachers to qualify to teach good climate science.
- Most universities promote climate alarmism as an authoritarian religion. They require complete devotion by faculty and students, or else the faculty are dismissed, and the students are flunked.
- The government pays universities millions of dollars to promote the climate religion. It’s time to turn off the climate money faucet or divert the money flow by giving grants and contracts to good scientists.
- To stop the funding of bad climate science, it may be necessary to have good scientists review every government climate-related grant or contract before it can become final.
- Remove all climate alarmism from government websites and publications.
- Implement a national climate truth program to get climate truth to the public. It must exceed the influence of the bad science promoted by climate alarmists.
- Change the education policies in each state individually to allow its schools to teach climate truth.
President Trump may have only two more years to set climate science straight in the U.S. government. If a Democrat becomes president in 2020, it will take about ten minutes to move government climate policy back to where Obama left it.
Demographics show the climate-alarmist Next Generation will control U.S. politics. It is a national emergency to teach them the climate truth.
The Republican Party is the only party that supports good science. For a nation to be great, it must replace false climate ideas with climate truth. We must act in time to save the Republican Party. That time limit is two years.