by Dr. Ed Berry
Greg Gianforte does not understand the Montana Republican Party. There are four faces to the Republican Party (before Donald Trump carved a new face). He does not understand that he is in the Very Conservative Evangelical (VCE) face which is only 20 percent of the Republican Party. He does not get it that he needs the support of the other 80 percent of Republicans as well as Independents to win his race for governor.
He supports a museum that preaches the Earth, sun, and universe are only 6000 years old, and dinosaurs lived in the last 6000 years. This is a radical belief that requires rejection of known science. Only a minority of evangelicals believe this.
Gianforte claims this is part of his “religion.” Therefore, he says this subject is not open to public discussion. But our freedom of religion regards our beliefs about the non-physical world. When people bring their religious beliefs into our physical world, they affect other people.
For example, we don’t care what Muslims “believe” about God. But when they claim God tells them to cut off people’s heads and blow people up, we have reason to say the Muslims are wrong. [Read more…]